Sunday 15 November 2009

Dunnerdale Fell Race

The Dunnerdale Fell Race is a gem. Coming near the end of the fellrunning season ( is there one !!). It takes in the summits of The Knott, Ravens Crag, Stickle Pike and finally Great Stickle before plunging back down to the village.
Now I set off with great intent, alas on the descent from Ravens Crag I had a nasty fall and banged my left knee on a rock and pulled a tendon in my right foot on the inside of the arch. It was hard work getting to the finish and I was mighty please to enter the finish funnel and stop running. Conditions underfoot were very slippy.
My shoe selection wasn't great but hey ho no matter. The summit of Stickle Pike is lovely but with only one week since doing the Roaches Fell Race I was feeling it a little by that point in the race.
A nice meat and potato pie at the finish made it all worthwhile though
I will be back to try and get round without the acrobatics.
Stickle Pike summit and Race route map


With a team mate at my side we start the climb to Stickle Pike



Climbing up is the hard part and Im very happy to be running off the top heading for the finish


Not many races left this year now but Im happy with what Ive achieved. Not sure yet were I came in the field in this race as the results have yet to come out. We will see but I dont really care. One of the beautiful things about fell racing is that you dont have to worry about positions and times too much. Its just great to be able to run in these amazing mountains.

2 comments:

  1. Nice report DH. Judging by the picture that used to be the banner for your blog, you seem to have a habit of falling.

    I would advise descending very slowly. It works for me - I hardly ever fall over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'about fell racing is that you dont have to worry about positions and times too much.'

    Yeh; right.

    ReplyDelete