Wednesday 24 June 2009

Riber Fell Race





Another local Fell race that i had never quite managed to attend. So off to the race headquarters at Lea Green activity centre for the short run that climbs up towards Riber Castle and returns back taking in some of the most beautiful countryside in the White Peak area.


Stated in the fellrunners fixture list as 5 miles and 1000ft of climb it would be a tough one for sure.
It had been a very hot day and this would really affect the pace of the race. Some runners like me hate the sun, others love it. Me give me a howling gale, rain or snow and I come into my own. But we cannot pick the weather and im thankful for every run and race i get.
The start was a bit drawn out with a few do's and dont's and a safety briefing. Ive noticed this becoming more popular at race starts as the insurance criteria for races becomes ever more complex and organisers have to continually cover themselves.
A downhill sprint down the road and through the woods to the first climb and my runing vest had already been removed and tucked into my shorts. The first climb is hard but not to steep and I make a few places.
All too soon and we sight Riber Castle which on the route we dont actually pass but just have it in our sights. A few blasts down some fields and ive lost count of the stiles we have gone over. Easily twenty im sure.
A tough hard steep climb to the finish with a few cheers from the locals as I pass into the finish funnel.
The usual post chat race with a few other runners and its back in the van and home.

No comments:

Post a Comment